Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

You may or may not have noticed that I haven't posted in awhile. Matt and I have been doing Whole30 (look for post next week on it!) and Mommom's recipes are not Whole30 compliant (at all). BUT, Matt's co-workers have been missing home baked goodness, so for his paramedic's (Randy) birthday I said I would make him cookies. Oatmeal raisin is his favorite, so I looked in Mommom's cookbook for a recipe. 

Mommom got this recipe from Barbara Johnson who is one of my mom's cousins.Turns out that this recipe was one of my granddad's (Daddad) favorites, so I was pretty sure this was going to be a hit. I wasn't able to taste them, so I was counting on Daddad's taste buds for this. Randy loved them and so did the rest of the crew. Success! I was pretty jealous that I didn't get to try one myself though.

When baking, I ALWAYS forget to put butter out to soften. It's a horrible habit that causes me to take a really long time to bake anything. Just as I was noticing that I didn't put any butter out to soften, I looked at the recipe to find that this recipe called for NO butter. Thank goodness! It calls for vegetable oil instead. Is this a common thing in oatmeal cookies? I wouldn't know. I'm not a huge fan of them and therefore don't make them a lot (poor Matt). Also, when I was getting ready to start mixing, I noticed that the recipe was written in all caps which meant that I had no idea if "T." stood for tablespoons or teaspoons. I made an educated guess and went for teaspoons. It worked. 


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:
1.5 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 cups raw quick-cooking oats
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Directions:
Sift flour , soda, and salt - set aside
Mix oil, sugars, egg, and vanilla
Stir in flour mixture and oats until well combined. Stir in raisins.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on lightly greased cookie sheet
Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees.

1 comment: