Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Seared Scallops and Herb Butter Sauce

Every time (this is only the second time) I go to make seared scallops, I always think of Hell's Kitchen (the TV show) and how those cooks always manage to mess up the scallops. I see it as a challenge. Of course I don't have a lot of pressure on me to succeed on a high level nor a guy yelling at me if I do fail, but I always feel accomplished when they do come out "perfect".
This recipe, which comes from the Cooking Light magazine June 2012 issue, was really good. Scallops and orzo aren't normal things prepared at my house, so it was a nice change up. I served the scallops and orzo with roasted green beans. I didn't change much of the recipe, just improvised when I discovered we didn't have shallots or fresh chives. Will definitely make again.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
3/4 cup uncooked orzo
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
11/2 pounds large sea scallops
3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
3/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided
cooking spray
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cubed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

Directions:
1. Prepare orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Return to pan; stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon chives, olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; coat scallops with cooking spray. Add scallops to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm.
3. Combine wine, shallots, and vinegar in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid reduces to 1 tablespoon. Reduce heat to low. Add butter cubes, 1 at a time, whisking after each addition until butter is fully incorporated. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon chives, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve scallops with sauce and orzo.

Calories: 382; Fat 12.9 (sat 5.9, mono 4g, poly 1g); Protein 32.8g; Carb 29g; Fiber 1.3g; Chol 79mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 577mg; Calc 50mg

No comments:

Post a Comment