Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Fruit Rocks

This past Sunday was a day of baking, baking, and more BAKING! Mom and I baked at least 8 different types of cookies for a grand total of over 300 cookies... I know, we're nuts. You see, every year my mom bakes cookies for her department at work and this year two sub department were added to her departments adding a lot more people to bake for. Anyway, one of the types of cookie we decided to make was my (actually Mommom's aunt, actually my mom's mom's mom's brother's wife if you really want to get specific) Aunt Wilma's Fruit Rocks. 
some of the other recipes below :)
Okay, let's get down to business (to defeat the Huns). I had a Red Bull this morning, can you tell? That was a Mulan reference for those who are Disney illiterate. Dang, not sure someone with ADHD that drank a Red Bull should be writing a blog post. *Deep breathe* Okay, I halved this recipe because it makes A LOT! It still made maybe around 4 dozen? halved. It's pretty great. My mom's huge standing mixer almost couldn't handle it. Mom and I made this recipe before maybe 2 years ago and I guess we mixed it too long and the fruit "rocks" became fruit "gravel". The pecans got too crunched and the cherries were smashed and turned the whole cookie a pink color. They were still good. They were better this time though.

You may notice that in the directions there's not a point in time where it tells you to put in the "syrup" (which I assumed was corn syrup) or the optional wine. Got to love recipes that were handed down several times (that's for real, not sarcasm, they really are the best...). I put both those ingredients in after the eggs. Perhaps Aunt Wilma will comment on when it's actually supposed to be done. If not, your guess is as good as mine. I did put the wine in. I hosted a "Friends-mas" party the night before and there was some leftover wine (Thanks Dwayne!), so I went for it. 

These cookies scream Christmas to me! They're amazing. I have such happy memories of Mommom making them. They're not the most attractive cookie, but they sure are good! They're one of Matt's favorites which still shocks me. 

Fruit Rocks (Aunt Wilma's Recipe)

Ingredients:
5 sticks butter
1.5 cups sugar
12 eggs
6 cups flour, sift with spices
1 t. cloves
1 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
2 lbs candied pineapple
2 lbs candied cherries
2 T. syrup
5 quarts pecans
3 t. wine (optional)

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Flour fruit and nuts as you add to batter. Add remaining flour. Drop by spoonful on greased baking sheet and bake in slow oven 325 degrees about 10 minutes.

2 comments: